What does it take to be a competitive netball player? Jane Watson gives us an insight into her training, goals for the year ahead and the ways in which her new Sealy Posturepedic Exquisite bed is making a difference to her much-needed sleep.
1. What's your training regime like?
A netballer's training regime is very busy. In pre-season, each week consists of about five to six conditioning sessions, which may be running-based, biking or a pool session, and three gym sessions that focus on strength and power. In season, we switch some of the conditioning sessions to either speed work or court training. We have one or two rest days a week, depending on the schedule, which are always much needed.
2. What's your sleep routine like?
It's very important in sport to have a good night's sleep. Mentally I need to be refreshed, so I'm able to concentrate fully. Getting more hours before midnight helps!
3. How important is having a good night's sleep to you? How does it affect your day-to-day life?
It's very important for me to have a good night's sleep. Mentally I need to be refreshed, especially so that I don’t get a headache during the day and I'm able to fully concentrate. Physically, my body is pushed at every workout session, so getting the best nights sleep on my Sealy Posturepedic Exquisite bed is hugely important.
4. Has anything happened when you haven’t had a good night's sleep, such as feeling less alert, less recovered, or worse - such as tripping or injuring yourself?
If I don't have a good night's sleep or don't sleep for long enough, I will often find myself getting a headache during the day or my body will feel lethargic and my mood is definitely not as positive as it should be.
5. What are you reading and/or listening and watching at the moment?
At the moment, I am planning for my wedding, so a lot of what I'm reading is helping me prepare for my special day.
6. What's your favourite quote or a motto you live by?
"Life is short, do what makes you happy and be the best you can be." I'm sure that without a great night's sleep this would be much harder to achieve.
7. What are your goals for 2018 - on and off the court?
My main netball goal for 2018 is to win our championship. And, outside of netball, I want to enjoy planning my wedding.
8. Anything else you'd like to add?
I'm so grateful I've been given the opportunity to sleep on the Sealy Posturepedic Exquisite bed and experience how comfortable and supportive it is.
Find out more about the Sealy Posturepedic Exquisite bed Jane is sleeping on here.